The year 2017 was a true renaissance for the gaming industry, offering an impressive array of experiences across various genres. From expansive open worlds to emotionally charged narratives and innovative gameplay mechanics, it was a year that continued to redefine the possibilities of gaming. In this article, we’ll travel back to 2017 and revisit the top 5 games that continue to shine brightly, captivating gamers worldwide.
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
“The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild” is a masterpiece that redefined open-world gaming. Players embarked on a breathtaking journey through the kingdom of Hyrule, encountering innovative physics-based gameplay, and a sense of freedom rarely seen in the genre. This game is often hailed as one of the greatest of all time.
2. PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG)
Genre: Battle Royale
Developer: PUBG Corporation
“PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds,” known as PUBG, revolutionized multiplayer shooters with its battle royale format. Dropping players onto an island to scavenge for weapons and fight for survival, PUBG’s competitive intensity and the thrill of being the last one standing captivated millions of players worldwide.
3. Horizon Zero Dawn
Genre: Action RPG
Developer: Guerrilla Games
“Horizon Zero Dawn” transported players to a post-apocalyptic world inhabited by robotic creatures. As Aloy, a skilled hunter, players embarked on a narrative-driven adventure filled with exploration, combat, and mystery. The game’s stunning visuals and compelling storyline earned it widespread acclaim.
Genre: Run and Gun
Developer: Studio MDHR
“Cuphead” was a labor of love, featuring hand-drawn animations and a 1930s cartoon aesthetic. This game combined challenging run-and-gun gameplay with boss battles that demanded precision and skill. Its unique art style and gameplay made it a standout indie title.
5. Nier: Automata
Genre: Action RPG
“Nier: Automata” merged fast-paced combat, philosophical themes, and a thought-provoking narrative. Players controlled androids 2B and 9S in a post-apocalyptic world filled with existential questions. Its emotionally charged story and unique gameplay design made it a cult classic.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- Q1: Can I play “The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild” on platforms other than the Nintendo Switch?
- A1: “Breath of the Wild” was initially released for the Nintendo Switch and Wii U. While it’s primarily available on Nintendo platforms, there are no official versions for other consoles or PC.
- Q2: Is “PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds” still popular in 2022?
- A2: While “PUBG” faced competition from other battle royale games, it still has a dedicated player base and receives updates. Its popularity remains significant.
- Q3: Does “Horizon Zero Dawn” have expansions or sequels?
- A3: Yes, “Horizon Zero Dawn” received an expansion called “The Frozen Wilds,” and a sequel, “Horizon Forbidden West,” was announced and released in 2022.
- Q4: What makes “Cuphead” unique in the world of indie games?
- A4: “Cuphead” is celebrated for its meticulously crafted hand-drawn animations and challenging run-and-gun gameplay that harkens back to the golden age of animation and arcade games.
- Q5: Is “Nier: Automata” part of a larger series, and do I need to play the previous games to understand it?
- A5: “Nier: Automata” is part of the larger “Nier” series but can be enjoyed as a standalone experience. Playing the previous games can enhance your understanding of the world’s lore but is not required.
These games from 2017 continue to shine as beacons of innovation and excellence in the world of video games. They showcase the capacity of the medium to deliver memorable experiences that resonate with players and push the boundaries of what gaming can achieve.