The year 2014 was a golden era for gaming, offering a diverse range of experiences that catered to all tastes. From breathtaking open worlds to emotional narratives and unique gameplay innovations, it was a year that left a lasting mark on the industry. In this article, we’ll take a nostalgic journey to revisit the top 5 games of 2014 that continue to shine brightly in the gaming universe.
1. Dragon Age: Inquisition
Genre: Action RPG
“Dragon Age: Inquisition” marked the triumphant return of BioWare’s epic fantasy RPG series. Set in the sprawling world of Thedas, players assumed the role of the Inquisitor, tasked with saving the world from a cataclysmic threat. The game’s rich storytelling, complex characters, and deep RPG mechanics earned it critical acclaim and a dedicated fan base.
2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Genre: Action RPG
Developer: CD Projekt Red
“The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt” is often hailed as one of the greatest RPGs of all time. Geralt of Rivia’s final adventure took players on an unforgettable journey through a vast open world filled with monsters, intrigue, and moral choices. Its captivating storytelling and attention to detail set a new standard for the genre.
3. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Developer: Monolith Productions
“Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor” introduced the revolutionary Nemesis System, which created dynamic and personalized interactions with enemy characters. Players stepped into the shoes of Talion, a ranger seeking revenge in the dark world of Middle-earth. The game’s innovative mechanics and engaging combat made it a standout title.
4. Dark Souls II
Genre: Action RPG
“Dark Souls II” continued FromSoftware’s tradition of challenging and atmospheric action RPGs. Players were thrust into a haunting and mysterious world filled with deadly foes and intricate level design. Its punishing difficulty and rewarding gameplay earned it a dedicated following.
Genre: Online Shooter
“Destiny” represented Bungie’s ambitious foray into the online multiplayer shooter genre. Mixing elements of traditional shooters with MMO-style gameplay, it offered an expansive shared world where players could team up, explore planets, and tackle cooperative and competitive challenges. It set the stage for the “Destiny” franchise’s ongoing success.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- Q1: Can I still play “Dragon Age: Inquisition” if I haven’t played the previous games in the series?
- A1: Yes, “Dragon Age: Inquisition” is designed to be accessible to newcomers while still offering depth for longtime fans. You can enjoy it as a standalone experience.
- Q2: Is “The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt” part of a larger series, and do I need to play the previous games to understand it?
- A2: While it is the third entry in the series, “The Witcher 3” is designed to be enjoyed on its own. However, playing the previous games and reading the books can enhance your understanding of the world and characters.
- Q3: Are there expansions or DLCs for “Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor”?
- A3: Yes, “Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor” has expansion packs that add new missions and content to the game, expanding on the story and gameplay.
- Q4: What makes “Dark Souls II” stand out from the other games in the series?
- A4: “Dark Souls II” is known for its vast world, deep lore, and distinct level design. While it maintains the series’ signature difficulty, it also introduces new mechanics and challenges.
- Q5: Is “Destiny” still actively played in 2022?
- A5: “Destiny” has an active player base, and the game continues to receive updates and expansions. It’s worth checking out if you enjoy online multiplayer shooters with a cooperative focus.
These games from 2014 represent a diverse range of genres and experiences, each contributing to the rich tapestry of gaming history. They continue to be celebrated for their quality and innovation, demonstrating the enduring power of storytelling and gameplay in the world of video games.